The old west

A wonderful time in history.

Name:
Location: Hobbs, New Mexico, United States

I enjoy watching sunsets and sunrises. Thunderstorms are awesome. I love South Dakota! My favorite time in history is the old west but I like to read up on any history that catches my interest.

Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Western women

As with all areas of life, women are always in the picture somewhere. Let's take a look some of the women of the west. Emily D. West was described as a beautiful woman. She was a mulatto from Connecticut who went west with James Morgan, a free woman but bonded to Morgan as a laundress. She is remembered as "The Yellow Rose of Texas". Folklore has it that she saved Texas by having a love tryst with Santa Anna during the battle of San Jacinto. Although this seems to be a tall tale, everyone believes it. After her bond was up, she went back east.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home